Friday, July 12, 2013

Fulfilling another dream: my summer internship at the Huntington

I realize that I've been pretty fortunate in my life to pursue lots of my little dreams.  I've been able to travel some of the world.  I've had chances to do music and theater.  And this summer I'm getting closer to earning my Master's degree by doing an internship at the renowned Huntington Library in San Marino, CA.

When I was little California was the land of magic and vacation, at least in my and my siblings' heads. We looked forward to each roadtrip to Disneyland.  Sometimes my parents took us to the Huntington Library, Art Collection and Botanical Gardens.  It's a grandeously beautiful estate with lovely gardens and famous artwork.  But as a student of history and archives, I know it as one of the most renowned repositories for rare books and manuscripts.  They have lots of cool stuff - like Shakespearean manuscripts, a Gutenburg Bible, a first edition Book of Mormon, letters from Charles Darwin, and the list goes on.

Work there is somewhat competitive so I likely won't be offered a job there, but I've loved being given the opportunity to see the inner workings, handle very rare and valuable books, and assist the Head of Manuscripts there.

Here are some pictures from there:



No comments:

Post a Comment